Monday, November 12, 2007

2 months down

Saturday, November 10th, was the two-months-in-Italy-mark.
Crazy huh? I can't even believe it. So much has changed! I now smoke two packs a day, drink everything insite, and an Italian bambino is on the way!

Of course, thats not true, but it is true a lot has changed! Like I got a hair cut. OoOooO!
So for an update..
Life has been the same old, with a few new stories. Halloween was kind of fun. It isn't that big here and not really celebrated. It has just started to come around these parts of Europe. In english class I explained to my class all the traditions. I got lots of "awww! Che figo! Bellissimo! Fortunata!" They liked it. That night I went with my friend Irene and her friends, by train, to Cagliari. We went to Angelo's house and ordered pizza. I was starving. This was the first time i have ever ordered pizza from home....so it came like 30 minutes later or what not in two big long boxes. Everyone ordered their seperate pizza, but they come all hooked in a long rectangle. It looked great. I was ready to dig in, when everyone agreed to wait for the last person to arrive. I was thinking oh dear....more waiting? Yep more waiting. One hour of more waiting. We all ate our pizzas cold...which didn't seem to be a problem for anyone else.. I was a little annoyed but oh well it still tasted good. After a few hours of talking and eating we left and walked the streets of Cagliari to a discotec where we would be spending our halloween night. Once again, we waiting about an hour maybe hour and a half to get it. It was CROWDED! Some people were dressed up but nothing special. We weren't, sadly. I wanted to. They save the good dressing up for carnival in the spring, I am so excited! But anyways. We finally got in the place, it was crowded as ever, my patience was a little thin I must admit, but I was fine in no time once I started hearing the beautiful Italian kareoke....oh dear......Nothing beats a bunch of drinking Italians singing kareoke! It was way funny. But after a while of that, it ended, and the dancing started. So that was fun. I won't tell you what time we got home...not important right? =)

The next two days we didn't have school. Holiday. I slept in.... Then we went to 2 cemeteries with the fam... to visit dead fam. The cemetaries are beautiful...always full of many people and tons of flowers. After I got home I went out with friends in the piazza. Then Friday and Saturday..normal...lunches and dinners at peoples houses... hung out with friends in town. So other things the following week....I went on a "date" haha not really a date. We just went to a cafè got drinks and I just listen to him talk for a few hours haha. Which was fine with me! I didn't understand everything hahah but just kept nodding and smiling. He was nice but I'm definatly not interested. Then I went to volleyball. Thursday I took the bus after school to Cagliari for the Italian course (which is going ridiculously by the way. Our teachers are crazy ancient retired ladies who all speak no english and have never planned a lesson yet, we don't learn anything, and its pointless for me to pay for the bus and go all the time, so I only go once in a while) like that thursday. I met up with exchange friends for lunch, shopping, then the course. Its fun to see everyone. For the most part everyone is improving lots on their Italian, some much better than others, but soon enough we will all be fluent!
Friday I woke up and a hair dresser lady was over coloring Sandra's hair. Sandra asked, do you want your hair cut or anything? And I thought for a second...then..sure! So I now have side bang things. Anyways Saturay was fun! Our school went on a fieldtrip to Nuoro, a BEAUTIFUL city in the mountains, north/center Sardegna. We all got on the bus, about 2 hour ride, then in the city we went to an art mues. It was really cool. Then we went to this park in the mountains for lunch. It was beautiful. There was a huge sculpture of Jesus on the top of this rock. It really was a beautiful park..everything was really green and the trees were so cool and the tables were all made of stone...it looked like a little village out of LOTR really. I had a nice packed lunch with bread, sandwhich, crackers and a juice smootie box haha. It was really cold up there too. After that we played some games I didn't understand then went to this old historical house. It was interesting. Then walked around the city a little then went back on the bus home. It was good to get to know everyone better and be more involved. That night was a festival in my town for S. Martino. There was a huge fire in the middle of the street. It was a smaller festival, but still alright. I went with friends and we just walked around and played a few games and such. Yesterday we had a big lunch with Irenes family...and went to the festival again. And here I am today doing my up-dating and emailing! So fun. Well thats about it with what I have done....Now some other up-dates and info.
My Italian is improving, still learning, still not perfect, but its coming along alright. I just have to stop tuning out, its really easy to do haha.
My math teacher is pregnant so we haven't had math class for the last 2 and a half weeks. They don't have subs here. Teacher doesn't come, then you just have an hour to do whatever. We have a new teacher now though...good thing I was missing math so much........
I had my first interigation. So school everyday you just have lectures and stuff in every class. There aren't many activities or varieties of teaching, just lectures and following along in the book, excersizes and worksheets here and there. And randomly, or planned, the teacher interigates students. Its like an oral test. I got an 8, which is good. I think its kind of cool..it is scary..but I can see how it has taught the students to be comfortable speaking in front of everyone, and retelling all the things they have been taught, and this is why they study so much-so they can do well on these oral exams! I think they are important and would be good for the american students.
Volleyball is good....our league games start up next weekend. I probably wont get a lot of playing time, but I am still excited!
I didn't know I would miss soccer this much, but I miss it like crazy! ok, it has been my life and for the last 9 years..but really! I live in a place all about soccer, its their culture! for the boys........ I wanna play!! I haven't played a real game on grass for like 3 or 4 months now. =(
Family life is great. No problems at all I am so happy and so lucky. A girl had to change families this last week....poor thing.
Food is good. I really like roasted chestnuts, we have those a lot. Yummmm. Now that it is winter a fire is often burning. I love it! Next time we go to a big grocery store im going to find marshmallows! They don't roast marshmallows! I have no idea who not. They will soon be addicted after I teach them the art of roasting and smore making. yuummmmyy. I'm sure I have gained weight but I don't care..every single exchange student around the world has. I do have to be carefull though...mmm nutella....
Friends are good. As I am understanding better, I am realizing who I like to be around more. Thats normal. I am happy to have friends though...a lot of the students in Cagliari only have eachother. Once again I'd say I am lucky.
Afterschool life is still boring and slow. But I have learned to accept that. So no worries.
The shopping is amazing here. But also extremely expensive so I haven't bought a lot. I wish I had a thousand euro monthly bugdget haha.
Hmm what else? OH whoever said that all Italian boys are beautiful definatly lied. The ugly smokers definatly outweigh the beautiful. They are rare. But oh well, I'm not interested, right? :)
Weather is still cold.. a bit windy lately. My school is a freezer. They all say, "oh you should be used to the cold!" My body is the same temperature as yours my friends, I still get cold haha. Plus with no snow its a different kind of cold. . If that makes sense. But summer starts in February. I think I can make it.

Well thats good enough for now I think...Again, email me if you have any specific questions! Also feel free to send me mail and packages! :D

Laurie Simkins
Via Cesare Battisti, 19
09025 Sanluri -CA- Italia

Until next time.
Laurie

3 comments:

Gelfling said...

Hi Waffle! I am so sorry I have not been writing, I wanted to say thanks for your awesome letter and bracelet. Also, just in case you might need to know, my last name is Witmer, not Whitem. It's ok I still love you, but I kept forgetting your blog site address, but now it is in my favorites so I will make sure I write you much more! Love you Sis.

Beetle said...

Laurie!!!
I am so jealous of your integration into a completely new culture. So jealous. I hope you are taking good pictures and documenting your every move. I want to hear everything. Maybe you and I can just go back in a couple years and you can show me around? Good deal.
Love you, girl

Mil Silver said...

I would comment more often but I can never remember my username and password.