Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Let the blogs begin.

WELL! I made it! Here is my first "travel log." haha I feel like a dork saying that..but oh well. ENJOY

PLANE:
For the most part I like plane rides. But WOW that was one long flight! My first flight to minneapolis i was just trying to relax and calm down after that very sad departure. At my gate waiting to go to Amsterdam, I met Tiffany, Kristen, Cornelious, Kevin, and Erica- all exchange students. All on there way to Sardinia except Kevin, who is exchanging in Sicily. They are all super cool and nice. And of course we all related because we were all in the same position. The flight to Amsterdam was 8 hours. SOoO long, but I had my own tv, choice of movies, tv shows, games, and music. I watched a movie...slept a little... yeah. It was fine and went by pretty fast. I was soo disoriented with the time changes. Because we were stuck in the airport, we didn't even get to see much of Amsterdam, but it was still cool to be in Amsterdam. Then to rome we went. I was in Rome!! How cool is that. But...not that cool because again we were in the airport with a normal desolate airport surroundings. There we met up with 2 more exchange students, both headed to Sardinia. Then we boarded our small plane to Sardinia. When I got off the plane I found my luggage right away and was greated very warmly by my family and Francescas friends. It was cool! I was very happy. My mom and dad are young italian hotties. And my nonna (grandmother) is adorable. We then got in our little car and drove on a normal looking highways at a good speed to Sanluri, the city where I now live.

SANLURI:
Sanluri is soo cool. It is full of small twistly turny alley-looking streets lined with cute old appartments, houses, shops, cafès, botiques, etc. The streets are so small and you drive about 40 through all of them and use your horn a lot. Right around the corner from my house is the town piazza, or square. It is where teenagers hang out. It looks fun, I am excited to see what its all about. Most of the streets are one way streets. Ah, and all the cars are so cute. And the driver is on the left hand side, same as americans. My house is adorable, I love it. It is a small gated apartment looking building; you open the gate and my grandma lives on the bottom level (level with the street). Me, Sandra and Giuseppe live up the stairs. It is small but SO CUTE. My room is great. I have my own computer and small cute bed. The kitchen is nice and little..and we all share the bathroom. Which will take some getting used to, but isn't bad. Through the back door is a small court yard where the laundy hangs to dry and a small garden is found =) I love it. Also there is a small wash room out there and also a small shower. I like to use the shower out there its bright and fun. Its private, don't worry.

FOOD:
My first breakfast was gross... The leave there milk out and warm it up in a mug, then pour in the cereal. It tasted like hamster food. But no worries, later that day we went to the super pan ( grocery store) and Sandra insisted I pick out foods I like. So I got a few boxes of cereal. =) Anyways... Also with your cereal you usually have crackers or cookies..dipped in warm milk, cafè, or tea. They were good. You have lunch around 2. The food is similar to lunch food you would have in America. You snack once or twice until you eat dinner, which is around 8. Everyone sits down together.. and many plates with food are on the table. For example, a plate with cut pieces of beef... ALWAYS a basket with bread.. ummm chicken, pasta, slugs, over cooked veggies.. just all kinds of random little helpings of food. But I like it, it tastes good!! You take your time eating. Then sit and talk for like a million hours. Its not bad!! I am a fast paced girl, but I will get used to it easily! Maybe not when the homework piles up though.. we'll see. Anyways the food is good. The gelato is very good too.. haha =)

THE PEOPLE:
Everyone is so cute and instyle. I am the tallest girl in my town I swear. Italian women are TINY!!! And very cute. All dark hair and tan skin. The boys are also very cute. Cute hair and clothes. Everyone is really nice, I have felt welcomed.

SoOOoOo there are some basics! So far I have seen the city, been learning TONS of the language, and... today (wednesday) we went to the beach in Cagliari (the capital of sardinia) it was soo pretty!!! Crystal clear water. Very fine sand. I loved it. The weather here is PERFECT! Not to hot, cold, or humid. Seriously perfect. I feel comfortable all day. I love love love it.
Ok thats enough for now! Ciao! !!!!

9 comments:

Patrick said...

Hi Laurie! haaha first comment ;)

Hope your having a great time!

~Patrick & Kori

rockstars said...

Wow Laurie it sounds like you are and will have the time of your life. I agree that Italy is beautiful. Have fun and know when the homesickness strikes (if it does) that a little call home always helps. Also just know this may be a once in a life time experience.
Love ya, Jenni Fifernuggin Rock

Aunt Soup said...

Laurie, Your positive attitude about everything will make this experience wonderful. Your fabulous writing style helps us understand what life is like for you. Thanks for taking the time to write so we can be there vicariously.
Love, Aunt Sue

Gelfling said...

Hey Waffle House! Your trip already sounds incredible. I am so happy for you. I hope you are having an awesome time. Love ya doll face!

Beetle said...

Jealous to the MAX!!! That sounds so marvelous. You can take me when you decide you want to go back next Summer.

Leslie said...

Hi Laurie!
I'm so glad you made it there safe and sound. I knew you'd love it. We had a volleyball clinic for yw and my home last night and we really missed you. Are you on a soccer team yet? Hey - enjoy the slower pace there. I think that's why Europeans live longer :) I look forward to reading your blogs. Love you lots - Leslie C

Sunny said...

Flaffy,
We are having SOOO much fun in America without you! We have our own bathrooms and cold milk! It's so awesome! AND we all speak English! Oh my gosh, it's so much fun to all speak English!
Ha suckah!

Parental Units said...

Okay - between replying to the emails and making blog entries, you won't have time to do your school work, learn Italian, or participate in endless dinner conversations! But we sure enjoy hearing from you. You mentioned having slugs for dinner - did you try one or more? I've eaten escargot - tasted like a pencil eraser dipped in garlic butter.
Love, Dad (the old and not hot one)

Gelfling said...

Waffle House Hash Brown!
Your trip sounds better and better everyday. That's a plus I guess.
When you get back will you teach me how to swear in Italian? .... I'm joking kind of ;)
I like sharp cheese